Wednesday, February 28, 2007

What you view

Amarte Asi, Soledad, Gulong Ng Palad, El Cuerpo Del Deseo.

Does those names ring any bell to you?

Those are names of foreign-language serials, brought to us by our 'feel good channel'. Some of my staffs are great fans of such serials, whether from the Phillipines or Latin America.

While I was lepaking at my loupo's parent's house in Tenom during CNY, I caught a few glimpses of the serials. I must say I was shocked at what I saw. Within those intermittent glances, I saw scenes of jealousy, rage, hatred, betrayal, quarrelsome women (and men), nasty mother-in-law, evil schemings... wow! A condensation of human sinful nature in full clarity. I remember seeing a similar listing in the Book...

They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless.

Romans 1:29-31

I wonder what draws people to these serials. Aren't we tired of seeing those things in our daily lives? Funny. Could it be, by watching such glaring acts on TV makes us tolerate our own short-comings a bit better? 'Hey at least I am not as nasty as those horrible people'. Or maybe we are just nosey about the mess in other people's lives.

A line from the ad on ASTRO left an impression in me. Remember the cute little girl with her African 'friend' Amar?

"What you view will change your view of life."

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Phi 4:8

By the way, I enjoy watching CSI. Why leh? Well, everybody loves a good mystery. I like to see goodness triumph over evil. I enjoying watching highly motivated men and women performing their duties with full dedication. I am impressed at how persistent they are in seeking the truth and upholding justice. I like to see those high-tech gadgets. Guess I can only dream of a police force like that over here.

1 comment:

EADotCom said...

LOVE CSI for same reasons. Don like the unnecessary revealing of flesh. but otherwise great stuff.

As for the other soap stuff, as i sat at the Outpathe othepatients the other day, i found myself marveling at how transfixed I was by the ??? acting and directing.... and even though the plot was weird.... it was weird to be still watching it two hors later....