Saturday, April 22, 2006

Of treasures and thieves

Am still a bit upset, because sometime late last month my house was broken in by thieves. They came in through the side door into the living room. After breaking off a padlock on the door grille, they managed to stretch their hands through an adjacent window to reach for the door knob, and the rest was easy. The thieves must have attacked in the night, while I was on-call in the hospital and leaving the house totally vulnerable. Lost some things for sure, I won't elaborate here. Idiot thieves, took even things that are useless to them but are useful to me (took cables of my CD burner and battery charger, and left the burner and charger behind, can you believe that?!). Nothing too irreplacable, but gave me quite a hassle to get things back. And to think that one day this poor government doctor might be saving their loved ones' or their own lifes. I was angry. God said pray for your enemies, I wonder if thieves are included.

To my disgust, two days ago my parent's house in Seremban was entered by thieves too! Those criminals were even more daring, entering the house in broad daylight! They must be experienced thieves, since they had tools to cut open the front door grilles.

Maybe to live a decent life nowadays is getting difficult with rising costs of living, making some people opt the easy way out by way of petty crimes.

If you think your house is safe because you have installed padlocks and grilles, I can tell you now that you are very wrong. Those things are easy to get pass, the locksmith told me. If the thieves are determined enough, they will find their way somehow. And if you think that they will spare your house and go for your rich neighbour, fat hope. I wonder when and where have the thieves lost their conscience and morality.

So, what options are we left with? Safe deposit boxes? High tech alarms? Keep a dog? Hoping for the police to do a better job? Hahaha...

How about this solution:

"Do not store up riches for yourselves here on earth, where moths and rust destroy, and robbers break in and steal. Instead, store up riches for yourselves in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and robbers cannot break in and steal. For your heart will always be where your riches are. "
Matt 6:19-21

And while we are talking about thieves, here's something more sobering...

"And you can be sure that if the owner of a house knew the time when the thief would come, he would not let the thief break into his house. And you, too, must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you are not expecting him."
Luke 12:39,40

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spiritual lessons aside,
1) what the locksmith said is true - given time, ANY house can be broken into, not matter what system you use.
2) they say the best "guard-dogs" are actually GEESE. Yeah get a goose!

Gabriel Au Yong said...

TheHinge is right, is matter of time. I learned from my experience too, my new house got breaked in on last Feb. Mid night 4am, really horrible, I thought I was having a nightmare, just like what you see in the movie, break in, tighen us, grap whatever they want, 15min ... gone.

They breaked in from my back door as well, cutted the door grille. Now had re-enforce new grille with metal door, break in proof from the back, front grille placed a metal plate to cover the padlock (hope it help). Installed alarm system, it might be useless, but better than nothing.

Like what you always said, may god bless us.

Wish you have a wonderful & nice journey. Don't forget to get us some beatiful photos when you are on the trip.

(I'm not sure those country got broadband now or not)

By the way, I just got informed by my mum, our Uncle Phang got cancer, I hope I heard it wrongly.

Anonymous said...

Goose ah... will shit everywhere, not like dogs can teach where to shit la. But maybe when get fed up with the goose, can make into a nice dish.

Crime is definitely up. Hmm... metal plates, metal doors, alarm. Lookin.