Sunday, August 19, 2007

Back to the Ulu

Decided that we need to get out of the crazy city and chill out a bit in the kampung. So we drove back to Keningau and Tenom for some rest and recreation.

KK was like a furnace last week. Haven't seen a drop of rain for almost a week. It was really wonderful to find a downpour greeting us at the chilly peak of Gunung Alab, as we made a brief pitstop to soak in some mountain air before descending on to Tambunan. Have you ever gave thanksgiving for rain? Little boy thoroughly enjoyed the cool mountain air mixed with the fresh smell of rain.

Ah hah... talk about perfect timing. These thorny stuffs are in season!!!


My church friend in Keningau owns a rather big plot of orchard, now fruiting with durians, rambutans, cempedaks, avocados, pineapples... There are plenty of fruits to spare. On good days he comes out with 5 crates of durians, which he distributes to fruit sellers for about RM 4 to 5 per kg. When they reach KK, the price rockets to RM 12 to 14 per kg! Crazy one!!! Makan gold ka? We know of durian-diehard friends in KK who unashamely drove all the way to Sipitang (hmmm... about 2 hours away) just to seek out for cheap durians and came back with a full belly of 'em (try imagine what happens if somebody lets out durian 'gas' on the return journey).

And these pair of darlings were a wonderful surprise. They fetch a pretty good price, you know. I know... some of you are asking... these fruits got taste one meh? Yes, they are quite tasty, succulent and crunchy, at least those that we've tried.

And what better way to end a durian trip in a hot afternoon... Fresh young coconut water! Gulped down two of 'em that day. I don't want to end up with a sore throat after the durian feast.

Our Keningau friend was really generous to pack us a box of assorted fruits to bring back to the city. Man, his durians were really EVIL! Especially those long-thorned mountain durians. They literally melt in your mouth, not in your hands.

We also found some time to visit our ex-neighbour's orchard and had some catching-up with them. Revisiting the place brought back great nostalgia. Did I tell you that they are Boss' exact fulfillment to my prayer before I went to that faraway land called Keningau? I prayed for an auntie who could jaga my makan (so that I may reduce exposure to Ajinomoto in street food), better if the auntie has a daughter (hahahaa...). Well, I wasn't specific enough. This Auntie DID have a daughter, but was no longer available (therefore be specific when asking Boss for things in your prayers). When I first arrived, I was a naive bachelor. They had one married daughter and a bachelor son and no grandchildren. When I left, I became a dad; and they have two grandchildren and a third one coming soon. All in a span of 3.5 years. The orchard was where I spent most of my free time after work, walking among the fruit trees and comtemplating what on earth was I doing with my life. In the early days, I went hunting (with a real RIFLE) with Uncle Nga, trapped birds, jala fish and swam at the fishpond, plucked fruits, watched the river and time go by, walked around like taukeh kebun... man.. I wouldn't have tahan long in Keningau if not for them. 3.5 years later, so many things have changed. The son has left the orchard, leaving the elderly couple to manage it. Due to lack of manpower (and two grandchildren to care for), fruit production has dwindled. Most fruit trees are now replaced with oil palms (oil palms are easier to jaga. Those fruits ah, have to spray insecticide, have to wrap them up to keep away fruit-flies... lots of work!).

Little boy's grandparents too were very excited on seeing how much he had grown (and how manja and attention-seeking he is now).

As I have said before, and shall say again now, I am not a city creature. The slower pace of life in the districts, the simple friends, and the close encounter with nature are some of the things that I shall sorely miss.

No comments: