Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Values

I never quite got to learn about economics during my school days. Nowadays there are so much talk about par value and market value in the news, I thought I could learn a bit. However, those things still sound quite complicated. I find this illustration particularly helpful...

My parents own two cars... a Proton Wira for dad to use, a Perodua Kancil for mum to use. The old Honda 100cc kapchai doesn't count la, it's a vehicle but not a car.

So, let's say my rich nextdoor neighbor owns a shiny Mercedes Big-Small-Eye for the driver to bring Datuk to office and functions, while Datin sits at home and summons the driver whenever she wants to go somewhere.

According to my limited understanding, by par value calculation, my family is richer than our neighbour... we own 2 cars, they only 1! Gosh, they need help! And I guess we're even richer coz we own 3 vehicles, they only 1. Those poor folks.

So, according to policies that are in place, we need to help our poor neighbours.

We should therefore
... give them a big discount on buying properties, including their million-ringgit bungalow,
... sponsor their children to study in college and then scholarships for overseas universities, using our hard-earned tax money,
... give the poor Datuk a directorship in the company, even though everybody knows he knows nuts,
... give him easy contracts, tenders etc even if it means turning down better offers from people who can do the job well,
... the rest you know I know la

Malaysian economics, true and amazing. I got my lessons HERE.

1 comment:

EADotCom said...

I know where NOT to send my son to do economics! Hahahaha!