Thursday, September 25, 2008

Foochow food for chow

Based on recommendations of Auntie Liz, I seached out for this stall since I happen to be in town.

The stall is tucked in a hawker center right in the middle of Asia City. It's the only stall still in business in the area, while it's neighbours have all bungkus. A testament of good food and strong Foochow support? Well, it was about 1.30 pm, and they have sold out their ko-lo-mee 干捞面 and ding-bian-hu 鼎边糊. What a shame, they've been around for 2 years and only now I found them. So I came, I saw, I ate.


An elderly couple runs the stall. Nice people. REAL Foochow folks, proudly showed me their authentic Foochow rice noodles flown in all the way from Sibu. Oh yes, Sibu, the land of Tings and Lings, Methodist pastors and shrewd businessmen.

Have you seen or eaten rice noodles like this before? Hehehe... it's called bai-kuo-gan 白果干. I once bought a dry pack but didn't know how to cook it. Real good stuff. Thick and tasty broth, made even better with pig liver slices.

They also serve traditional Foochow delicacies like the red wine mee-sua 红酒面线, pig trotters, kam-pua 干拌面 etc. Rest assured that I will be back to savour them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wah u know more about foochow cuisine than I do.

MC (a foochow who lost his identity)

Anonymous said...

Hey i was there in the land of Ting-a-Lings for a couple of days. And was with a Foochow church in Keningau for some years.

Anonymous said...

next time u go sarawak ask mark to bring you to ori Foo Chow food. haha