Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Kueh-chap

I am not talking about cakes. I am talking about this:

I tried a google to see if anybody has made an entry for kueh chap into Wikipedia. There was none. But there were many links leading to various locations of this exotic delicacy.

My medic coursemates used to call Bak-Kut-Teh the food-for-brain (we had BKT twice a week when in Klang). They probably haven't tried the Kueh-Chap.

The "kueh" is refers to flat rice noodles, a bit like kueh-teow, but much broader, shorter and smoother. The "chap" means mix, pig-mix in this case. So they throw in whatever they could harvest from that multi-purpose khinzir... fat meat, lean meat, ears, lungs, stomach, intestines, liver, tendons... stretch your imagination. All these cooked with a dark and delicious concoction of Chinese herbs, put in a few pieces of taufoo-pok to balance the taste and texture.

Credits to Uncle and Auntie Liz for bringing me to try out this really cool stuff. The shop is in Inanam, Kota Kinabalu.

Should have more of it before I need to worry about my uric acid and cholesterol levels. Anybody wanna join?

Auntie Liz, the Menggatal Ngau-Chap is next, remember?

1 comment:

EADotCom said...

errr who's uncle liz?

hahahahahahahaha