Saturday, December 02, 2006

Gifts


A patient who endured a "cut" brought me some gifts two weeks ago.

This week she came back with 4 bag-loads of fruits from her family's farm... bananas, papayas, seedless guavas...

In my line of duty, the stakes are high. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. And when you lose, it could be a matter of life and death. It could mean someone losing a baby, or worse still, a family losing a mother.

In the midst of such high-stress job, it's really encouraging to get gifts like these.

I may be able to speak the languages of human beings and even of angels, but if I have no love, my speech is no more than a noisy gong or a clanging bell.
I may have the gift of inspired preaching; I may have all knowledge and understand all secrets; I may have all the faith needed to move mountains---but if I have no love, I am nothing.
I may give away everything I have, and even give up my body to be burned ---but if I have no love, this does me no good.
1Co 13:1-3

1 comment:

Jin Yoong said...

I don't think you ever lose. The fact that u r doing what u r doing now shows you are a winner, meeting people's needs day in day out. Sure there are negative times and in your line, it's a matter of life and death like u said. But we r all human after all and mistakes happens, though I still think docs are superhuman not because of the heavy hours but because of the heavy responsibilities that u r able to shoulder everyday.

Here's a toast to you and all the people who have taken the Hippocratic Oath (do u have that in Msia?)